https://www.hometownquotes.com/

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chicago Illinois Auto Insurance: Should uninsured drivers be punished?

Many people criticize Chicago's plan to ticket uninsured drivers because of the perception of unfairness to people who can't afford insurance.

Besides being required under state law, that insurance is part of the cost and responsibility of operating a vehicle. When there is no insurance to pay for the damages, the victims (or sometimes the taxpayers) end up footing the bill.

More than 20 years ago, I was involved in a multiple-car accident on the Kennedy Expressway that was caused by an uninsured driver. My insurance paid my medical bills and the value of my totaled car; then it dropped me for excessive claims, despite the fact that this was my first claim in 15 years. When I finally found someone who would insure me, I paid higher premiums that amounted to more than four times my former rate. Eventually I again returned to lower rates, but the damage to my spine and nervous system still affect me.

We need to stop making excuses for drivers who refuse to take responsibility for their driving and recognize them for the scofflaws they are by ignoring the risks they pose to other drivers, pedestrians and property.

No comments:

https://www.hometownquotes.com/